Friday, October 24, 2008

Mr. Brightside Analysis

I'm coming out of my cage

And I've been doing just fine
Gotta gotta be down

Because I want it all

It started out with a kiss

How did it end up like this

It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss

Now I'm falling asleep

And she's calling a cab

While he's having a smoke

And she's taking a drag

Now they're going to bed

And my stomach is sick

And it's all in my head

But she's touching his chest now

He takes off her dress now

Let me go

'cause I just can't look, it's killing me

And taking control

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea

Turning through sick lullabies

Choking on your alibis

But it's just the price I pay

Destiny is calling me

Open up my eager eyes

'cause I'm Mr. Brightside

I never

I never

I never



From Sam's Town, Las Vegas, The Killers erupted into the indie music scene with their debut album "Hot Fuss". With catchy songs driven by synthesizers and Brandon Flowers' clever lyrics, the band quickly got recognition. The song "Mr. Brightside" is a perfect example of Flowers' ability to convey emotions and create images through his words.

The song "Mr. Brightside" centers around the paranoia of the speaker, who fears his lover/love interest is sleeping with another man. At the start of the song, the speaker is "coming out of [his] cage" and "doing just fine", but this soon changes when his suspicions begin haunting him. It is implied that he has seen his lover kissing this other man: "It started out with a kiss". We are then taken into his delusional mind, where he imagines his lover "going to bed" with the other man. The speaker knows this is just in his mind--"and it's all in my head"--but he cannot help himself; his delusions continue to haunt him. The speaker's awareness to his paranoia shows a self-destructive personality; he feels like he deserves to be in this state: "But it's just the price I pay... Open up my eager eyes". The line "I'm Mr. Brightside" is actually ironic; the speaker is being sarcastic and somewhat mocking himself.

There are many poetic devices used in "Mr. Brightside", such as metaphors, imagery, and irony. The speaker's "cage", for example, is a metaphor for how he makes himself feel; his personality makes him feel trapped. Imagery is used mainly in the chorus ("Jealousy, turning saints into the sea..."). An image of what's going on inside of the speaker's mind is created. Irony is present in the lines: "And I've been doing just fine" and "I'm Mr. Brightside". Both of these lines contrast the speaker's situation; he is not "doing just fine", which is made clear by the rest of the song. "I'm Mr. Brightside" implies that the speaker is always looking at the bright side of things, which is the opposite of his reality.

3 comments:

Mike said...

good analysis amy!

Cindy said...

I love this song! Good analysis :]

BRIDGET:) said...

Amy, I love this song, and your analysis of it is really impressive, I never knew that that was what the song was about.